Last weekend was our neighborhood garage sale. I have a love/hate relationship with the garage sale. I love getting stuff cleaned out of my house, love getting money for the junk I wanted out of my house, but I hate all the work. It went well, and I'm glad it's over. As a result of the garage sale, we did a lot of cleaning and sorting in the basement, a good by-product of the sale.
Sunday afternoon Ryan and I left and went to Indy by ourselves for a couple of days. Ryan's parents kept the kids for us. We had a great time eating at restaurants we normally wouldn't go to, visiting art museums, and seeing The Dark Knight. I love that Ryan is still the friend I love to be with more than anyone. Here's a view from the canal that we walked along:
We also got a good look at the outside of the new Colts stadium:
And here's a cool stained glass window at the Indianapolis Musuem of Art (which has free admission, by the way):
As wild and fun as last weekend was (garage sale, Celtic dancing, Indy trip), this weekend could top it. Two of my college friends, Jenny & Jenny (yes they have the same name and it's making it very hard on Ryan), are coming to my house to visit. I haven't seen the one Jenny for about 5 - 6 years, and I can't remember the last time I saw the other Jenny. It's been at least since I graduated from college, which was 14 years ago. They haven't seen each other for a couple of years either, so it will be quite the reunion. And, we owe it all to Facebook! So, tune in next week for a synopsis of the weekend of the Jennys! It should be a hoot!
My final random thought is a quote I found when cleaning out the basement bookshelves. It's from a woman named Judith C. Lechman.
When we throw ourselves into religious activities without having made our life one of prayer, we run into danger. Our days and nights are filled with teaching or printing a newsletter, working in an outreach program or a food bank, an inner-city rehabilitation project or on lobbying efforts. We feel we are doing the Lord's work, and perhaps we are. But we will never know unless we take the time to listen to his voice and be certain we are following his promptings and not ambitious ones that start in self. We must always ask ourselves whether we are working to please God or to satisfy our own need for achieving results.

No comments:
Post a Comment