Today I went to brunch with 3 of my high school friends. I think it's pretty cool that 18 years later we're still in contact with each other. In the picture, I'm slouching next to Amy, in order to not look tall. I met Amy in 7th grade at age 12. I spent a lot of time at her house, along with other friends of Amy and her two brothers. Amy's parents never acted like it was an imposition, everyone was welcome. Amy and her family still hold a special place in my heart because of that.
Next to Amy is Cheri, who I met in kindergarten. We were assigned to the same seat on the school bus. Soon I will have known her for 31 years, which is really too much to think about!! Cheri is the one who allowed my kids and me to stay with her while we were working on some dossier stuff in Indy last year. I was so grateful for a place to stay and a good friend to talk to in the midst of the mania of that trip. Her generosity at that time will be part of the legend of our adoption story.
By Cheri is Debbie, AKA Ed. Please don't ask why I call her Ed, because try as I might, I am incapable of making the story interesting, so people listen and then there's this sense of regret for asking. I met Debbie in 6th grade, and through all this time she has been a faithful friend and an uncompromising Christ-follower. Everyone should have a Debbie to help them during junior high and high school. I know it made my life better.
Many people would consider having just one of these friends to be a great thing. I have had the privilege of all three, so I feel like I received a bonus. I think God knew I would need it when I was younger, and appreciate it when I was older. And the truth is, I do. So today, I'm grateful to God for these women, who knew me as a girl, and stuck with me anyway. I love you all!

3 comments:
Dawn,
What a wonderful story. Good, true friends really do make our lives(then and now), better:)
Robin
Hey Dawn,
As one of those "two brothers", I always enjoyed hanging out with you guys. Thanks for letting the pesky little brother tag along.
And as Andy told me after reading this post, your Christmas tree light grading scale will lives on forever whenever I see a tacky display.
Tom
Thanks for visiting the blog, Tom! It's always fun to hear from Amy about you! I'm so glad that my Christmas light grading scale has survived - I'll be glad when my kids are old enough to appreciate it and I can bring it back out!
Post a Comment