If there were a prize for who blogs first about an event, my friend Arin would have won. She beat me to the blog to post about our cabin-out at Potato Creek last weekend. It's not a camp out, because we stayed with their family in one of the Potato Creek cabins. I won't say why we choose a cabin this year instead of tent camping. I wouldn't want to make anyone feel whimpy. Especially since that anyone came with a broken/sprained foot ankle problem, and went on hikes and bike rides with his family, which is the exact opposite of whimpy. So I won't even mention Danny. I mean...
I digress. Let me start over. This was our third trip to Potato Creek with a wonderful family that in our home is referred to as the STEVE HOLTS! This is an Arrested Development reference that I don't think they get, but Ryan and I enjoy it all the same. I love being with the Steve Holts, because they are so laid back about what we do while we're there. I never worry that they'll be offended if we go or don't go with them somewhere, they share whatever they have (as do we), they help us with our kids - it's just a great set-up. I also could sit and talk to Arin for hours. And I think I did. If I wasn't talking to Arin, I was EATING. I don't know what the deal was, but for some reason having a full kitchen in our cabin meant we should eat non-stop. And not just eat, eat JUNK. We did eat good food while there (Chicken Fajitas, hello!), but when there are twinkies, star crunch, and mountain dew in the same room, that is indulgence.
It was a great weekend that made me thankful for my great family, for great Christian friends, for the beauty of God's creation, and for time away. Thanks for the memories, Steve Holts, the Michael Morehouses love you!
Here's a couple pictures of us hanging out in the cabin:
Here's a picture of all the kids:

4 comments:
Great post Dawn!! I'll go ahead and say it for anyone that reads these comments......my dear husband Danny is a whiny baby about REAL camping and after last year I vowed to myself to never camp with him again....ever!! This was a beautiful compromise! I got to be at Potato Creek and he got to shower and eat indoors! We had a wonderful time with you. And I ditto your feelings, I could sit and talk to you for hours too!!
See you soon!
In Danny's defense, last year there was this 45 minute period of torrential rain pour that made us even consider coming home to sleep and return in the morning for our stuff. Other than that, I'm not sure I can defend him. Wasn't he a marine???? Although, there aren't whiny children to deal with in the military...
The year before you were in a camper. That seemed to go well, except for the raccoons getting in your cooler overnight and eating your entire pork roast and a dozen hamburger patties...
Why don't more people love camping????
I'm cracking up!! When you mention the racoon eating the pork roast....hee hee!
Yes, Dan the Man is a big bad Marine. He once went 11 days without changing his underwear, remember?
But last year when it was raining, he LEFT ME WITH 6 KIDS IN THE TENT and he went and SLEPT IN THE VAN! I'm sorry but that did me in! Although I do have fond memories of those potatoes you made in the foil packets. Remember those?
Really, everyone should camp. It builds character!
looks like you had a great time! Chris and I love to go to Potato Creek!
Love the pics...thanks for sharing :)
Post a Comment